Approved Driving Instructors ten top tips to get your Grade A on your Standards Check
These ten tips have been written to help you prepare for your Standards Check but actually many of them are just as valid for your lessons. These tips are all good points and worthwhile using when you reflect on your own performance from time to time rather than waiting for the Standards Check to arrive.
1. Do not wait for the brown envelope before you decide to review your lessons against the DVSA National Standard for Driver and Rider training. Start now. You can find more about how to plan your lessons here.
2. Make sure you take someone that you have rapport with, other wise it will be hard work and you will put yourself under too much pressure.
3. Take some time to prepare by reading the Examiners Guidance notes
4. Read the National Standards - often referred to as Role 6 - and ask yourself two simple questions: Does my training match these Standards? Are there areas that I could develop?
5. Communication - a secret to success. Using non judgemental communication is in the Standards Check. Did the trainer maintain an appropriate non-discriminatory manner throughout the session?
6. The GOAL - it is all about the goal. We are the experts but we do need to ensure that the goal is about the learner's previous experience and their needs and not just about the subject.
7. Use coaching and instructional techniques that you are comfortable with - your Standards Check is not the day you decide to experiment.
8. Change the goal if something happens that is more important then the original goal - do this in negotiation with your customer. The GROW model is a useful conversational tool to help you structure goal setting conversations.
9.Risk Management is all about sharing responsibility and making sure that you and your customer know what is about to happen when setting up a training exercise.
10. Ask for help if you need it in preparing your everyday lessons and Standards Check. Your lessons will be great already but seeking improvement is an essential part of any business. We have FREE Standards Check podcasts that we can send to you that you can play in your car rather than reading all this information.
In each tip I have put in a hyperlink to click on so you can find out more information about each tip. I hope it helps and finally if you want to find a trainer near you or want to go beyond Standards Check training then take on the challenge of our flagship course - if you haven't done so yet - the BTEC Level 4 Professional Award in Coaching for Driver Development .
Mark Wardle recently said this about his course: 'The Tri-coaching partners will go beyond helping you to achieve your completion. Don't be daunted by the assignment dates - extensions are readily available. A very worthy course to enrol upon'
Call 0800 058 8009